Going Home for Holiday advice
As the end of term has arrived and many students are heading home for the Christmas period we thought it might be good to remind you all about some going home for the holiday advice. This applies to all holidays in the student calendar, but particularly this time of year.
Fortunately, Cardiffdigs have prepared a pdf on ‘Going Home for Holiday’ advice. This runs through security, housing and waste issues that tenants need to be aware of should they leave Cardiff for the holidays.
Key points to remember are:
- Take any valuables home with you
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked when you leave
- Clear gardens of items such as bricks/ladders that could be used to force entry
- Ask your landlord/letting agent or trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your house during the holidays and ask them to push through any mail left hanging from letter boxes and bring in your bins
- So the house appears occupied set up light timers to come on whilst you are away and close curtains in ground floor bedrooms
- Remove obvious signs from windows that it’s a student house e.g. posters
- Make sure the boiler comes on for a few hours each day to prevent the pipes from freezing
- Cathays/Plasnewydd/Roath/Gabalfa residents prior to the end of term your bin days are 7th December for recycling and Food waste only (no black bin bags) and 14th December is for recycling and food waste as well as Black Bins and Bags. Ensure you bring in all bins and bags prior to leaving for the holidays
- When you return don’t leave packaging of expensive purchases or gifts on display or in bins as burglars know the packaging relates to items worth stealing